Blog of the Belly Biter:

Some plant-based, some unhealthy, some super healthy but ALL good. Kid tested and mother approved!

Thursday, October 21, 2010

White Chili.

When I was first interested in healthier eating I found Ellie Krieger on the Food Network channel, dvred her shows, and watched them... and trying a few. She's a good go between because she still uses all "real" ingredients and none of the stuff you can't find at a normal grocery store. She uses meat and cheeses, but makes them as healthy as she can.

So it was fun to pick up her newest cookbook from the library and see how I can tweak some to fit us. This recipe spoke to me with the white beans, hominy, cumin and coriander... all of which I love. It also called for turkey (1 lb. white meat), which I omitted. And only used 1 instead of the 3 poblano peppers she used. I learned a few recipes back that they were a tad too strong for the kids. Although, it may be the cayenne.... I don't know. I'm too scared to try each on their own to decide which one it is... so I just ease back on both.

White Chili.
1 medium onion
2 stalks celery, diced
1 medium poblano pepper, seeded, white ribs removed, and finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more to taste
2 - 15 ounce cans white beans (or 3 cups cooked) drained & rinsed
4 cups vegetable broth
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 - 15.5 ounce can hominy, drained and rinsed
3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
lime wedges

In a large pot, over medium heat, steam fry the onion, celery, and poblano peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, and 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add the white beans, broth, and oregano. Cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes. 

Add the hominy, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, and more cayenne pepper to taste and continue cooking, partially covered, for 10 minutes longer. Ladle into individual bowls and top each serving with cilantro. Garnish with lime wedge. 

adapted from So Easy
by Ellie Krieger
"White Turkey Chili"
page 189

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you thought if you've bitten one of my bites!