Blog of the Belly Biter:

Some plant-based, some unhealthy, some super healthy but ALL good. Kid tested and mother approved!

Monday, March 29, 2010

Vegan Zuppa Toscana

I love, love... love this soup from the Olive Garden. And fell back in love with it when Shayne took me out on my post half marathon date. Although I just about barfed once I realized all the cream that I had had in the meal. So, I decided to vegan up this recipe and see how it went. It was awesome! Shayne couldn't taste the difference. And the kids loved it!!

1 lb. vegan sausage + 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed {omit 1 lb ground Italian sausage}
1½ teaspoon crushed red peppers (i reduced so it wasn't too much for the kids)
1 large diced white onion
1 teaspoon of smoked sweet paprika {omit 4 tablespoons bacon pieces}
2 teaspoons garlic puree (2 cloves, minced)
10 cups of vegetable broth {omit 10 cups water and 5 cubes of chicken bouillon
1 cup cashew cream {omit 1 cup heavy cream}
1 lb. sliced Russet potatoes, or about 3 large potatoes
1/2 of a bunch of kale (stems removed and chopped}

1. Saute sausage and crushed red pepper in pot. Drain excess fat (there won't be any with the vegan), refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.
2. In the same pan, saute onions and garlic for approximately 15 minutes, or until the onions are soft. Add in the smoked sweet paprika.

3. In a stock pot put in the vegetable stock, then add the onions/garlic mixture and cook until boiling.

4. Add potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.

5. Add cashew cream, sausage and kale and cook until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you thought if you've bitten one of my bites!