Blog of the Belly Biter:

Some plant-based, some unhealthy, some super healthy but ALL good. Kid tested and mother approved!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Homemade Vegetable Broth

This is so easy to make it's ridiculous! I've been much more conscious of what's on a products ingredient list, and most broths (especially the pastes/cubes) have ingredients I don't understand at all and loads of salt.

It comes from the Veganomicon cookbook, which has some pretty good stuff in it... and I've decided it's almost worth buying it and not just using the ones I scanned in before I had to return it to the library.
V n/tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, skin included, roughly chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 parsnips, peeled and roughly choppednbv
I usually double or triple this recipe, put some in the fridge since I use it regularly... And the rest I put in ziplock bags/baby food containers in 1/2, 1, 2 and 3 cups increments, then freeze. Then pull it out the morning I need it, put it in the fridge to thaw and it's good to go.

What's awesome is that there's a teaspoon of salt in like 9 cups of broth. Awesome. I've changed the recipe up some each time I've made it. It's a great way to get rid of ripe veggies. I've put in celery, mushrooms, and herbs.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this...most commercial veggie broths have soy in them and I am allergic to soy. It will be nice to have an easy flavorful recipe to make at home.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you thought if you've bitten one of my bites!