Blog of the Belly Biter:

Some plant-based, some unhealthy, some super healthy but ALL good. Kid tested and mother approved!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Mint Chocolate Cake {almost Vegan}

{i so wish I could take better pictures... this does not do this justice!!}

Have you ever had a friend rave to you about something so yummy, you started dreaming about it?!? Well, enough was enough when Carrie kept forgetting to send me the recipe after she salivated all over me after telling me she made it again. My Dad was coming over for dinner, and he loves chocolate cake... so I thought it would be the perfect time to make it.

After I'd been hearing about it for so long, I was a little worried that it wouldn't deliver... but no worries, this baby sure did deliver. Yum. And it delivered even in almost-vegan form! Everything but the eggs.

2 cups sugar (1 cup agave nectar)
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup coco powder, packed
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk (almond milk)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (safflower oil)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup boiling water

Mix dry ingredients. Beat wet ingredients in a separate bowl for 2 minutes. Add to dry mixture. Stir in boiling water. The batter will be really thin and runny. Grease 2 - 9 inch round cake pans. Pour batter in... bake 350 for 30-35 minutes.

Let cool in pan, then take out and frost. Super, super YUMMY!!!

Frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter softened (vegan)
2/3 cocoa powder, packed
2 1/2 - 3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk (almond milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon mint (i used peppermint b/c that's what I had, and it was yummy... although I hear just plain 'mint' is yummy too)

Cream butter and sugar, add in the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you thought if you've bitten one of my bites!