Blog of the Belly Biter:

Some plant-based, some unhealthy, some super healthy but ALL good. Kid tested and mother approved!

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Cherry Chipotle Chili.

This should be called "Cherry Chipotle Chili, Hold the Chipotle." That's what the title said, but there was no chipotle in the recipe (checking to see if it was left off). Anyhow, my first go at any recipe I usually cook it exactly like the recipe says... and then adjust the next time if it's a hit.

I was more intrigued to make this because it sounded totally interesting, and I'm currently obsessed with dried cherries. Plus, it has most of the ingredients that we love. I loved it, my kids loved it... but my husband (and Mandy - I gave her some leftovers to see what she though) thought it was too sweet... and really needed the chipotle. NEXT time I'll add a good amount of chipotle in adobo.

2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup dried cherries (our grocery has them by the raisins)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon crushed fresh garlic
1 bottle roasted red pepper chopped, or one fresh red pepper chopped
4 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried oregano
? chipotle in adobo sauce?
4 cup petite canned chopped tomatoes
1 16 oz can black beans
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
avocado to taste

For chips: (i skipped the chips)
Spelt Flour tortillas
Coconut oil

Heat 1 cup of broth in microwave. Place cherries in small bowl and add hot broth and set aside.

Heat olive oil in a 4 quart sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion (and red bell pepper if not using bottled roasted bell pepper); sauté about 5 minutes.

Add garlic, cook 1 minute. Add chopped bottled red pepper (if not using fresh), chili powder, cumin, coriander, and oregano. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and remaining broth, bring to boil.

Reduce heat; simmer uncovered about 5 minutes. Stir in beans, cilantro, and cherry mixture. Continue cooking until thoroughly heated.

I cut one tortilla into wedges and fry in coconut oil and stick the triangles in one side of the bowl and then chop a half of avocado and put on top of the chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you thought if you've bitten one of my bites!