Blog of the Belly Biter:

Some plant-based, some unhealthy, some super healthy but ALL good. Kid tested and mother approved!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Wainbow Waps

I am so, so, soooo excited about these. Other then drinking shrek shakes, my kids aren't over the moon about vegetables. They'll do broccoli and corn, and maybe a few others. But slowly I've been wearing them down. First, salad. And now, wraps. I've learned with kids that if you give something a cool name, put it in a wrap or on a bun and get them involved making/assembling stuff - they're almost golden to eat whatever. Though I guess it also takes a bit of "molding" like I've been doing lately, also.  

Nolan has always eaten these well, the kid loves anything in a tortilla - and sprouts and avocado are his favorite. Ava has taken a bit more "brainwashing". So, after they had already downed their pb&j's for lunch - and weren't ravishing animals anymore...I offered them a wrap. I was about to make some wraps for Shayne and I when I got my bright idea of calling them WAINBOW WAPS (totally fun to say) and having them help make them. I think that's what won Ava over.

The kids now eat 2 of them for lunch. This is what we had in them today - on picture day...
a multi-grain tortilla, hummus (below), black beans, red peppers, cherry tomatoes, shredded carrots, yellow peppers, sprouts, avocado and black beans

A HUMMUS RECIPE

2 (15 oz.) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
{i didn't have and used a can of navy beans & pinto beans - so yum!}
1/3 cup fat-free oil substitute (or olive oil)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons sesame tahini
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup water, more or less for desired thickness
pinch of ground cumin or ground coriander (optional - did both)
salt and pepper
paprika (preferably Hungarian smoked - or just smoked)

Place half the chickpeas and oil substitute in a blender {makes it more creamier then a big ole food processor}. Pulse several times, stopping to stir with a rubber spatula. When the mixture is almost pureed and creamy, add the remaining chickpeas and oil, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cumin, and a little salt. Pulse, stopping to stir several times, until the mixture is very creamy. Season with salt and pepper; add more lemon juice to taste if necessary.

Transfer to an airtight container and chill for 30 minutes before serving. To serve: spread into a shallow bowl, dust with paprika, and drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil on top. (i just added the paprika when i mixed and forgot about the pretty drizzle of olive oil - no need for cute presentation for lunch)

I've added 2 roasted red peppers to this, and it turned out yummy. Another recipe variation is to add 2-3 tablespoons of chopped fresh dill and parsley to it. Can't wait to try that since my "Ranch Hummus" I made for Ava a while back didn't turn out so stellar.

Veganomicon, pg 67
serves 4
time: 10 minutes, plus chill time

1 comment:

  1. These look delicious! What do you use for fat free oil substitute?

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you thought if you've bitten one of my bites!