Blog of the Belly Biter:

Some plant-based, some unhealthy, some super healthy but ALL good. Kid tested and mother approved!

Monday, January 17, 2011

Sunflower Seed Ranch Dip.

I think that those that have known me from way back only knew it was a matter of time before I layed up here a vegan version of ranch. I love ranch. I use to put it on everything. Salad, pizza, salsa, hamburgers, popcorn...

My kids like carrots, but I thought if they had a little dipper they may just love them. Turns out I know my kids better then I thought I did. They love this. Coco loves this. And not getting fat from meat, they need to get it from somewhere - so I love this healthy alternative. I merged 2 recipes... one from my friend Brooke and her Sunflower Seed Sour Cream and the other from OurBestBites. Thank you both. Ya'll did all of the hard work for me, all I had to do is merge, and then some.

With this baby, I can see updating my pork-fave with vegan tomatillo black bean burritos in my very near future...

1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup water
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1 garlic clove pressed (or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white vinegar {double all down?}
1 teaspoon parsley
1/8 teaspoon dill
1 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard

Place first 7 ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth... like, really really smooth. I didn't do it all that long the first time, like in the picture above because I was so excited to get it done. Then, add the rest - here you can blend or just stir in.

Now, here's the important part... put it in the fridge and let it chill. Warm ranch is no bueno. Especially if you're using dried... they need a little time to let out their flavor. It's only until after it cools that I'd taste it and adjust... you've gotta give the flavors time to mush. It got better and better each day. You'll have to stir it each time you pull it out... and I wouldn't keep it for much longer then 3-4 days.

*note that all spices/herbs listed are dried. If substituting fresh, use the rules 1 part dry = 3 parts fresh.


1 comment:

  1. totally trying this...is the dill dried also? Have you found a good ranch dressing substitute---like for salad?

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you thought if you've bitten one of my bites!