Blog of the Belly Biter:

Some plant-based, some unhealthy, some super healthy but ALL good. Kid tested and mother approved!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Corn Chowder.

I am totally diggin on Tal's [as if I personally know him] book. Every recipe I've tried from it has been awesome! This one included. Knowing my texture obsessed family, I pureed it and then added the corn because I didn't want anything to stop them from lovin this one. I also added a splash of liquid smoke, because this recipe just kinda feels like bacon would be good in it too. ;)

2 cups Vidalia onions, diced
2 large carrots, peeled & cut into ¼ inch dice
1 celery stalk, dice
1 red bell pepper, dice
1 dried chipotle pepper (couldn't find, used a little chipotle in adobe sauce)
5 cups faux chicken stock (Better Than Bouillon brand - I used veggie)
2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼ inch dice
2 fresh thyme sprigs
Kernels from 6 ears of corn, plus 2 ears roasted or grilled corn (used frozen - about 3/4 cup to 1 ear of corn) & roasted earlier in the day
1 ½ cups thick cashew cream
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons minced chives
½ cup diced tomato
splash of liquid smoke [optional]

Place large stockpot over medium heat and steam-fry the onions, carrots, celery, bell pepper , and chipotle pepper. Sauté for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the stock, potatoes, and thyme, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.

[This is when I pureed.] With the back of a spoon, smash some of the potatoes against the side of the pot and stir to thicken the soup. Add the raw corn and cashew cream, season with salt and pepper to taste and add liquid smoke, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the chipotle pepper and thyme sprigs. Garnish with the chives, tomato, and roasted corn kernels.

belly biters: all - tore.it.up

Makes 6 servings
Prep time: 1 hour

The Conscious Cook: Tal Ronnen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you thought if you've bitten one of my bites!