Blog of the Belly Biter:

Some plant-based, some unhealthy, some super healthy but ALL good. Kid tested and mother approved!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Italian Vegetable Hoagies.

I found this recipe on LittleBirdieSecrets and it was just calling to me. Especially with the pepperoncini... I forgot how much I love those. The original calls for provolone cheese, which I ditched. Athough, I'm not gonna lie... a slice of provolone would have made it even yummier... but I didn't give in and I'm not gonna dwell... my nonbloated belly thanks me. It's super simple and stuff I usually have on hand. I used hoagie buns and toasted them with a little bit of earth balance then rubbed a garlic clove on it. Yum....

1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion, separated into rings
1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar {i used half for fear it'd be overbearing, it was perfect for us}
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 16- to 20-inch-long baguette, preferably whole-grain {hoagies}
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1/4 cup sliced pepperoncini {I added a little more to ours and didn't put any on the kids}

1. Place onion rings in a small bowl and add cold water to cover. Set aside.

2. Combine artichoke hearts, tomato, vinegar, and oregano in a medium bowl. Cut baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally and pull out about half of the soft bread from each side. Drain the onions and pat dry.

3. To assemble sandwiches, spread on the artichoke mixture and top with the onion, lettuce and pepperoncini. Cover with the baguette tops. Serve immediately.

shayne {yum} - ava {ew.} - nolan {yum} - coco {yum}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you thought if you've bitten one of my bites!