Blog of the Belly Biter:

Some plant-based, some unhealthy, some super healthy but ALL good. Kid tested and mother approved!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Black Bean Stoup

{the nonvegan picture}
I was reminded that I need to post this Ava favorite on here when she requested it for her birthday dinner. Love that my girl wants this for her pick any meal you want meal! It's a Rachael Ray Recipe (from her 365: No Repeats Cookbook) that I LOVE and could eat once a week myself! So much flavor! Shayne likes it all pureed. Which makes for a yummy, creamy texture. Here's the vegan, no oil version (which is the new lifestyle change we're on).


water
1 dried bay leaf
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
3 celery ribs with greens, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
3 - 15 oz. cans black beans
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
Salt and black pepper
2 to 3 tablespoons hot sauce
1 qt. vegetable stock or broth (I use 3 cups because I like it a little thicker, especially if I puree it)
1 – 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 to 3 scallions, chopped

Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add enough water to cover the bottom, then add the bay leaf , jalapeƱos, garlic, celery, and onions. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, then add the bell peppers and continue to cook. Make sure to keep an eye on the water, if it's all evaporating out, add a little more so it doesn't burn or stick.

Drain 2 cans of beans and add them. With the remaining can, pour the juice and half the beans into the pot. Use a fork to mash up the beans remaining in the can. Stir the mashed beans into the pot and season with the cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, and 2 to 3 tablespoons of the hot sauce.

Add the stock and tomatoes to the stoup and bring to a bubble. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes over low heat.

This is when I puree or just ladle up the black bean stoup and top with scallions.

This is the face of a birthday girl super excited to eat her black bean soup!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you thought if you've bitten one of my bites!