Blog of the Belly Biter:

Some plant-based, some unhealthy, some super healthy but ALL good. Kid tested and mother approved!

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Peach Almond Coffee Cake

This is one of Shayne's favorites from the Betty Crocker’s Diabetes Cookbook. The very first cookbook I bought when we learned Shayne was borderline diabetic 7 years ago. It's got some gems in it that I all too often forget about. That is until one of them is requested... and I wonder why I don't make them anymore. It's not vegan, and it doesn't fit into our new diet... but it was Father's Day and I was all about getting the man what he wants. I'll experiment some other time... This is SO yummy...

2/3 cup fat-free (skim) milk
1 egg
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
½ teaspoon almond extract
2 cups reduced fat Bisquick
1/3 cup sugar/Splenda
1 cup chopped fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) peaches
½ cup artificially sweetened vanilla low-fat yogurt
¼ cup packed brown sugar (I use way less then this, like a tablespoon or so)
¼ cup sliced almonds

1. Heat oven to 375. Spray round pan, 8 x 1 ½ inches, with cooking spray. Mix milk, egg, oil and almond extract in large bowl until smooth. Stir in Bisquick and sugar until Bisquick is moistened (batter will be lumpy). Spread batter in pan.

2. Mix peaches and yogurt; spoon onto batter. Swirl lightly with knife. Sprinkle with brown sugar and almonds.

3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake near center comes out clean (it will be a little wet because of the yogurt – I just look for brown around the edges). Serve warm or cool. Store covered in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you thought if you've bitten one of my bites!