Blog of the Belly Biter:

Some plant-based, some unhealthy, some super healthy but ALL good. Kid tested and mother approved!

Monday, July 13, 2009

Tamalie Pie

I use to make this all the time when I first started cooking. It was when I thought that casseroles were the only form of cooking I could handle. Why I stopped making it, I'll never know because it is goood! But it's for sure going back into the rotation.


PIE
1 lb. ground beef
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. chopped green pepper
1 (16 oz.) can stewed tomatoes
1 (15 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 c. sliced black olives {i omit, not a fan}
I clove garlic, minced
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 ½ c. grated sharp cheddar cheese {i use 1/2 c., and it's plenty}

CORNMEAL TOPPING
¾ c. yellow cornmeal
½ tsp. salt
2 c. cold water
1 T. butter

- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cook ground beef, onion and green pepper in skillet until beef is browned. Pour off excess fat.
- Add tomatoes, corn, olives, garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add cheese, stir until it melts.
- Meanwhile, stir cornmeal and salt into cold water in saucepan. Cook stirring constantly until mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Turn meat mixture into greased 9x9 casserole dish {or I'm assuming a pie dish would work, hence the name}. Top with cornmeal mush.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you thought if you've bitten one of my bites!